The first month of the year flew by like a rocket! I must find a way to slow this thing down. I hope you all had a good start of the year. I would rate this month a 8 out of 10.
- My work contract was extended for another year!
- My brother made a bird feeding house for on my balcony and managed to attach it to my unconventionally shaped banisters and now cute little birds come visit every morning (until the seagulls arrive).
- Serena Williams did not win the Australian open, but was a really good sport about it. The hug she gave Angelique Kerber at the net after the game, really made me smile.
- No more Alan Rickman. RIP.
- The list of most dangerous cities in the world has been published and newspapers are now saying that Latin America is horrible, dangerous and likely to chew you up and kill you. (I disagree)
Epiphanies – getting to know myself
- After watching a documentary called Growing up Trans I came to the conclusion I am more conservative than I thought, when it comes to accepting transgenderism and sex-change operations (and I will write a full blog on this topic soon)…
- I really hardly drink alcoholic beverages at all but I have decided that if I drink at all, I prefer beer over wine. For some reason I used to always order white wine, out of some sort of strange society-induced conviction that that is the drink women should order or something…
Epicurious – food related thoughts
- Five sperm whales died last month on the beach of our largest Wadden Island, Texel. I have been having so many discussions with my colleagues about what is healthy for us and the environment and the animals that we do or do not eat that I can’t help but wonder….
- Could we eat the meat of beached whales?
- Should we?
- Where does it go when it gets “disposed of”?
- I recently found out, yes thanks to one of my fanatically vegetarian colleagues, that we use pig and animal hair as a fluffener in bread… Who knew…
- I have never had a quiche that made me want to go for a second round. I think it’s the egginess. I’m just not a big quiche fan. There, I said it.
Music related thoughts
- I have never really cared for David Bowie
- Sam Hunt’s hit song was one that I was pretty ecstatic about when it first came out but it’s sappiness kind of gets on my nerves now.
- Speaking of Sams, I think Sam Smith has an unpleasant voice.
- I really like Spotify’s Discover Weekly playlist, which has introduced me to some great new music, but for some reason keeps suggesting crappy covers of Beyonce’s “Halo”, which I really don’t understand…
- Some songs get a whole new dimension when listened to with headphones on or with an incredibly good sound system.
Epilogue – February expectations
- Valentine’s day
- I will be going funtubing with a friend, next week.
- I am going to go to a karaoke evening with my co-workers. The kind of thing you are totally looking forward to and totally not, all at the same time. haha!