This morning, while driving back from Friesland to Leiden, I heard one of Nothing but Thieves’ new songs:
The song is called Amsterdam. I don’t think the videoclip was actually shot anywhere near our nation’s capital though… or maybe he left his heart in the Amsterdam in New York state…?
I realized I had heard another song named Amsterdam just a week ago, by the Danish band Nephew:
I was looking into Nephew as they were one of the big names starring on the Roskilde Festival 2018 poster. Amsterdam was obviously one of the first songs I clicked on and I must say I was very pleasantly surprised! I really like their sound and am looking forward to seeing them play @ RF18. All I have to do is brush up on my Danish… :s
Sadly for me, a band that will not be present at Roskilde but is very high on my wanna-see-live-bucketlist, is Coldplay. Did you know thay also have a song called Amsterdam?
Oh! And I just learnt that Imagine Dragons, another fave of mine, also has one!
None of these songs seem to have a lot to do with the city they’re named after.
Want to know more about Amsterdam?
My tip: leave Amsterdam at least one day during your stay and visit another city in the Netherlands to get a feel of the non-Disney version of the low lands!
Non – Amsterdam tips:
- the place I’ve been calling home since 2004 and I don’t plan on leaving any time soon!
- Rembrandt van Rijn’s birthtown
- Home of the first University of the Netherlands
- Modern by default > bombed to bits during WWII
- Cool, edgy and innovative
- Colorful melting pot
- Most southern city of the Netherlands
- Feels like France on a sunny day
- Cool caverns and beautiful river landscapes
- Hills! Believe me, that’s a big deal here…
Enjoy your time in the Netherlands!